Bridgwater Lawn Tennis Club was established on the banks of the Bridgwater canal in the centre of Bridgwater in about 1895. Originally known as the Trinity Lawn Tennis Club it had one grass court and club rules limited membership to 25. Before the First World War it acquired a second court, created a ‘country membership’ and the standard of tennis attracted members from Bishops Lydeard who push-biked over the Quantocks of an evening - and home again! Later known as the ‘Mid-Somerset’ it became the Bridgwater Lawn Tennis Club during the sixties.
When Safeway, now Morrisons, built a new supermarket on the site formerly occupied by the Lido, Bridgwater & Albion RFC and the tennis club, our share of the proceeds of the sale helped to pay for our new site. The club has five (5) courts - 3 all-weather ‘Astroturf’ which are floodlit and two American fast clay courts, the latter funded with a grant from the Lottery Commission. The club moved to the present location in 1993.
We have recently appointed a new Club Coach and details of this and extended coaching programme will be announced very soon. Please submit an enquiry here if you would like further details.